Historical Markers
City of Big Lake
Intersection of US 67 and SH 137 in Big Lake
The land on which the original townsite of Big Lake was located was owned in 1903 by T. H. Taylor who sold 320 acres to the Orient Land Company, which agreed to build a railroad station and lay out a town to be called Big Lake. The city took its name from a lake created by rain which gathers in a natural land depression about one and one half miles from here. Once filled by spring-fed water, it is now the largest dry lake in Texas. In pioneer days it was the only known fresh water between the Concho River and springs at Fort Stockton and was a campsite for Indians, Mexican traders and cattle drivers. Oldest house in Reagan County, the John Gardner house, is located near its banks. The town was established in 1911. Its first economic activity was a stock pen built by the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient railroad, a hotel, and a grocery store. It grew up around the line of the railroad, and by 1915 had about fifty families. Big Lake was incorporated on May 28, 1923, and in 1925 became the seat of Reagan county. Land additions were made in 1914 and 1925. Today the city is a center for the oil and gas industry.
Intersection of US 67 and SH 137 in Big Lake
The land on which the original townsite of Big Lake was located was owned in 1903 by T. H. Taylor who sold 320 acres to the Orient Land Company, which agreed to build a railroad station and lay out a town to be called Big Lake. The city took its name from a lake created by rain which gathers in a natural land depression about one and one half miles from here. Once filled by spring-fed water, it is now the largest dry lake in Texas. In pioneer days it was the only known fresh water between the Concho River and springs at Fort Stockton and was a campsite for Indians, Mexican traders and cattle drivers. Oldest house in Reagan County, the John Gardner house, is located near its banks. The town was established in 1911. Its first economic activity was a stock pen built by the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient railroad, a hotel, and a grocery store. It grew up around the line of the railroad, and by 1915 had about fifty families. Big Lake was incorporated on May 28, 1923, and in 1925 became the seat of Reagan county. Land additions were made in 1914 and 1925. Today the city is a center for the oil and gas industry.
First Bank in Big Lake
Marker is located inside Security State Bank at the corner of Main and 2nd Streets, Big Lake
On this site the First Bank in Reagan County was founded, with capital stock of $15,000.00. The initial stockholders meeting was held on March 29, 1913. The title of the institution was the First State Bank of Big Lake. On the original board of directors were James Belcher, P.H. Coates, Henry Japson, C.C. Sanders, W.M. Schneemann, Jr., J.M. Shannon, and J.H. Wilson. That bank began its operations in one room of this structure now used exclusively to house the Reagan State Bank, a successor institution, which was opened for business on September 2, 1969.
Marker is located inside Security State Bank at the corner of Main and 2nd Streets, Big Lake
On this site the First Bank in Reagan County was founded, with capital stock of $15,000.00. The initial stockholders meeting was held on March 29, 1913. The title of the institution was the First State Bank of Big Lake. On the original board of directors were James Belcher, P.H. Coates, Henry Japson, C.C. Sanders, W.M. Schneemann, Jr., J.M. Shannon, and J.H. Wilson. That bank began its operations in one room of this structure now used exclusively to house the Reagan State Bank, a successor institution, which was opened for business on September 2, 1969.
Site of First Courthouse Built in Reagan County
SH 137, about 18 1/2 miles northwest of Big Lake
The following officials were installed May 8, 1903 Joseph J. Boyd, Judge, J. B. Lucas, Clerk, Henry Japson, Sheriff and Tax Col., Frank Ramsey, Treasurer, W. C. Shamlin, Surveyor, M.D. Sutherland, Assessor, Commissioners: Jno. E. Gardner, W. C. Castlebury, A. J. Kerchville, G. F. Kirk, The county seat was moved in 1925 to Big Lake.
SH 137, about 18 1/2 miles northwest of Big Lake
The following officials were installed May 8, 1903 Joseph J. Boyd, Judge, J. B. Lucas, Clerk, Henry Japson, Sheriff and Tax Col., Frank Ramsey, Treasurer, W. C. Shamlin, Surveyor, M.D. Sutherland, Assessor, Commissioners: Jno. E. Gardner, W. C. Castlebury, A. J. Kerchville, G. F. Kirk, The county seat was moved in 1925 to Big Lake.
Former Reagan County Courthouse
on SH 137 about 19 miles northwest of Big Lake in Stiles
on SH 137 about 19 miles northwest of Big Lake in Stiles
John E. Gardner Place
from Big Lake go about 4 miles west on US 67, then 1 mile south on RR 1676 to Santa Rita Rd - Marker is on private property about 1/2 mile south off Santa Rita Rd.
Oldest house in Reagan County. Had no window glass. Used swing shutter. Mud mortared native stone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
from Big Lake go about 4 miles west on US 67, then 1 mile south on RR 1676 to Santa Rita Rd - Marker is on private property about 1/2 mile south off Santa Rita Rd.
Oldest house in Reagan County. Had no window glass. Used swing shutter. Mud mortared native stone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
Grierson Springs
Established as an outpost to Fort Concho, April 30th, 1878. Stage stand on the Ft. Concho to Ft. Stockton route, 1875- 1882. Named in honor of General Benjamin H. Grierson who commanded the federal troops in the region, April 23, 1875, to July 20th, 1882. Abandoned as a military post in 1882.
Established as an outpost to Fort Concho, April 30th, 1878. Stage stand on the Ft. Concho to Ft. Stockton route, 1875- 1882. Named in honor of General Benjamin H. Grierson who commanded the federal troops in the region, April 23, 1875, to July 20th, 1882. Abandoned as a military post in 1882.
Martin-Castillo Expedition
US 67 at corner of Main and 2nd, Big Lake
Explored the Concho River, 32 miles north of here, gathering information on Jumano Indians and searching for pearls, 1650. Setting out from Santa Fe, Capts. Hernan Martin and Diego Del Castillo traveled about 600 miles to the Jumano territory, where they stayed for 6 months. Further travels took them to the edge of the Texas nation, where they obtained the first information definitely about the tribe that gave Texas its name. The "discoveries" of their journey - - pearls and the Texas nation -- sparked later important Spanish expeditions to East Texas.
US 67 at corner of Main and 2nd, Big Lake
Explored the Concho River, 32 miles north of here, gathering information on Jumano Indians and searching for pearls, 1650. Setting out from Santa Fe, Capts. Hernan Martin and Diego Del Castillo traveled about 600 miles to the Jumano territory, where they stayed for 6 months. Further travels took them to the edge of the Texas nation, where they obtained the first information definitely about the tribe that gave Texas its name. The "discoveries" of their journey - - pearls and the Texas nation -- sparked later important Spanish expeditions to East Texas.
Reagan County
about 3 miles west of Big Lake on US 67 in Roadside Park
1936 Texas Centennial highway marker (pink granite)
Formed from Tom Green County; created March 7, 1903, organized April 20, 1903. Named in honor of John H. Reagan 1818-1905. Indian fighter and surveyor member of Texas Legislature and United States Congress postmaster general of the southern Confederacy. County seat, Stiles 1903-1925, Big Lake since.
about 3 miles west of Big Lake on US 67 in Roadside Park
1936 Texas Centennial highway marker (pink granite)
Formed from Tom Green County; created March 7, 1903, organized April 20, 1903. Named in honor of John H. Reagan 1818-1905. Indian fighter and surveyor member of Texas Legislature and United States Congress postmaster general of the southern Confederacy. County seat, Stiles 1903-1925, Big Lake since.
John H Reagan
US 67 at corner of Main and 2nd, Big Lake
As congressman, 1876-1887, sponsored Bill creating Interstate Commerce Commission; resigned 1891 from United States senate to head newly-formed Railroad Commission, modeled after I.C.C., and created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1903, railway transportation of petroleum became important in Texas, the Commission was given jurisdiction in 1917 over pipelines. This led to formation of the oil and gas division. The legislature made the commission responsible in 1919 for oil and gas conservation. Probation began in 1920's. Complete regulation came in the 1930's with 1,700,000-barrel-a-day production in East Texas. Commission policies were acclaimed when in World War II Texas was able to supply the allies with great stores of oil necessary for victory. The commission's goal is to prevent waste and protect oil and gas reserves by orderly regulation of exploration, production and transportation. Such men as chairman Reagan have set high ethical standards that have continued in the commission, causing it to merit the confidence of the people and of the petroleum industry. Commemorative series on Texas Railroad Commission. Erected in Cooperation with Abell-Hangar Foundation, 1966.
US 67 at corner of Main and 2nd, Big Lake
As congressman, 1876-1887, sponsored Bill creating Interstate Commerce Commission; resigned 1891 from United States senate to head newly-formed Railroad Commission, modeled after I.C.C., and created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1903, railway transportation of petroleum became important in Texas, the Commission was given jurisdiction in 1917 over pipelines. This led to formation of the oil and gas division. The legislature made the commission responsible in 1919 for oil and gas conservation. Probation began in 1920's. Complete regulation came in the 1930's with 1,700,000-barrel-a-day production in East Texas. Commission policies were acclaimed when in World War II Texas was able to supply the allies with great stores of oil necessary for victory. The commission's goal is to prevent waste and protect oil and gas reserves by orderly regulation of exploration, production and transportation. Such men as chairman Reagan have set high ethical standards that have continued in the commission, causing it to merit the confidence of the people and of the petroleum industry. Commemorative series on Texas Railroad Commission. Erected in Cooperation with Abell-Hangar Foundation, 1966.
John H Reagan
Courthouse Lawn (3rd and Plaza Streets), Big Lake
Civil War Memorial - (pink granite)
Delegate Texas Secession Convention. While member 1st confederate congress, made postmaster general C.S.A. 1861. Difficult job begun by raid on U.S. Postal Dept. for southern personnel asking them to get maps, forms. Despite seizure mail by enemy, army draft of clerks and carriers and split of south, department carried on. At war's end imprisoned Boston. Later U.S. Senator, First Chairman Railroad Commission. A Memorial to Texas who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963.
Courthouse Lawn (3rd and Plaza Streets), Big Lake
Civil War Memorial - (pink granite)
Delegate Texas Secession Convention. While member 1st confederate congress, made postmaster general C.S.A. 1861. Difficult job begun by raid on U.S. Postal Dept. for southern personnel asking them to get maps, forms. Despite seizure mail by enemy, army draft of clerks and carriers and split of south, department carried on. At war's end imprisoned Boston. Later U.S. Senator, First Chairman Railroad Commission. A Memorial to Texas who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963.
Santa Rita No. 1
on US 67, about 13 1/2 miles west of Big Lake
Discovery well for Big Lake oil field. First gusher in permian basin; first University of Texas producer. On land once thought almost worthless. Fruit of the faith of Big Lake lawyer Rupert Ricker. Though in 1919 no oil had been found within 100 miles, Ricker got leases on 431,360 acres of University of Texas land in Crockett, Irion, Reagan and Upton Counties. Soon working with him were P.G. Stokes, Big Spring; Frank Pickrell and Haymon Krupp, El Paso; and others. Their wildcat well, 1/2 mile south of this site, on Ollie Parker's Ranch, was drilled by Carl Cromwell. Dee Locklin was tool dresser. Slow and hard drilling made crew name well for Santa Rita, Patronness of the Impossible. 4 years, 2 months and a day after permit was filled, and at 3,055 feet, well pressure tossed the rig's bucket high into the air. Santa Rita was a producer, the date was May 28, 1923. This day the Permian basin, since acclaimed one of the greatest oil regions in the world, had its first big find. Other spectacular fields were to follow. Multi-millions in royalty dollars have since made the University of Texas one of the world's most heavily endowed schools. Original rig that brought in Santa Rita now is on the university campus.
on US 67, about 13 1/2 miles west of Big Lake
Discovery well for Big Lake oil field. First gusher in permian basin; first University of Texas producer. On land once thought almost worthless. Fruit of the faith of Big Lake lawyer Rupert Ricker. Though in 1919 no oil had been found within 100 miles, Ricker got leases on 431,360 acres of University of Texas land in Crockett, Irion, Reagan and Upton Counties. Soon working with him were P.G. Stokes, Big Spring; Frank Pickrell and Haymon Krupp, El Paso; and others. Their wildcat well, 1/2 mile south of this site, on Ollie Parker's Ranch, was drilled by Carl Cromwell. Dee Locklin was tool dresser. Slow and hard drilling made crew name well for Santa Rita, Patronness of the Impossible. 4 years, 2 months and a day after permit was filled, and at 3,055 feet, well pressure tossed the rig's bucket high into the air. Santa Rita was a producer, the date was May 28, 1923. This day the Permian basin, since acclaimed one of the greatest oil regions in the world, had its first big find. Other spectacular fields were to follow. Multi-millions in royalty dollars have since made the University of Texas one of the world's most heavily endowed schools. Original rig that brought in Santa Rita now is on the university campus.
Stiles Cemetery
on SH 137, about 17 miles northwest of Big Lake at Stiles
Established about 1903. Site is on land then owned by early settlers G.W. and Lizzie Stiles. Plot summarizes much frontier history, as it holds graves of cowboys who died in accidents on cattle range; one Spanish-American War veteran; victims of shootings, rattlesnake bites, epidemic dysentery. Most were pioneers of steady habits and quiet lives. Already in use for many years, the 3-acre plot was deeded to county in 1920 by J.D. Wagner, an adventuring man who lived for years alternately in Texas and in South America.
on SH 137, about 17 miles northwest of Big Lake at Stiles
Established about 1903. Site is on land then owned by early settlers G.W. and Lizzie Stiles. Plot summarizes much frontier history, as it holds graves of cowboys who died in accidents on cattle range; one Spanish-American War veteran; victims of shootings, rattlesnake bites, epidemic dysentery. Most were pioneers of steady habits and quiet lives. Already in use for many years, the 3-acre plot was deeded to county in 1920 by J.D. Wagner, an adventuring man who lived for years alternately in Texas and in South America.
Town of Texon
at Intersection of US 67 and FM 1675, about 13 miles west of Big Lake
Early travelers along many historic trails in this area found the region arid and inhospitable. Given (1876) to the University of Texas, the lands around this marker were leased to cattlemen. The Kansas city, Mexico & Orient Railroad built its line here in 1911, but did little local hauling. Development came after Frank Pickrell and Haymon Krupp of Texon Oil and Land Company drilled for oil. Their driller, Carl Cromwell, brought in Santa Rita No. 1, the first gusher in the Permian Basin, on May 28, 1923. Texon, first company town in the Permian Basin, was founded in 1924 by Big Lake Oil Company. Levi Smith, president of the firm, planned and supervised building of the town, and Ted Williams served as city manager for the company. Texon had stores, shops, a school, a physician, a dentist, a hospital, a theater, a park, a well-known baseball team, and many facilities for recreation. The post office opened in 1926. As many as 2,000 people lived here -- boosters claimed up to 10,000 -- manning the drilling, a gasoline plant, an oil treating plant, and other operations. Plymouth Oil Company absorbed Big Lake Oil Company, then sold out to Marathon Oil Company. The company town was closed in 1962.
at Intersection of US 67 and FM 1675, about 13 miles west of Big Lake
Early travelers along many historic trails in this area found the region arid and inhospitable. Given (1876) to the University of Texas, the lands around this marker were leased to cattlemen. The Kansas city, Mexico & Orient Railroad built its line here in 1911, but did little local hauling. Development came after Frank Pickrell and Haymon Krupp of Texon Oil and Land Company drilled for oil. Their driller, Carl Cromwell, brought in Santa Rita No. 1, the first gusher in the Permian Basin, on May 28, 1923. Texon, first company town in the Permian Basin, was founded in 1924 by Big Lake Oil Company. Levi Smith, president of the firm, planned and supervised building of the town, and Ted Williams served as city manager for the company. Texon had stores, shops, a school, a physician, a dentist, a hospital, a theater, a park, a well-known baseball team, and many facilities for recreation. The post office opened in 1926. As many as 2,000 people lived here -- boosters claimed up to 10,000 -- manning the drilling, a gasoline plant, an oil treating plant, and other operations. Plymouth Oil Company absorbed Big Lake Oil Company, then sold out to Marathon Oil Company. The company town was closed in 1962.